Skip to main content

SRI LANKA TO BAN CATTLE SLAUGHTERING FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS.



Colombo, SRI LANKA:
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa submitted a proposal that legislates against the slaughter of cattle across the island nation – a decision that could inflame ethno-religious tensions.

Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa has proposed a complete ban on the slaughter of cattle in the country after parliamentary deliberation on Tuesday.

Rajapaksa made the proposition while addressing the party’s parliamentary group meeting, stating that cattle slaughter should be prevented since many opposed the practice. He received unanimous approval from the group.

Cabinet spokesperson and Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella was quoted in local media saying that Rajapaksa said he “hopes to ban cattle slaughter” and that he would decide when to submit the proposal to the government.

The government announced today that the final decision pertaining to the ban will be delayed by a month.
If passed, beef imports will be allowed to cater to demand.

There is no official data demonstrating that the majority of Sri Lankans are in favour of a ban.


According to some observers, the timing of the proposal could be driven by political motivations.

“Buddhist monks have indicated they are strongly in favour of the move as eating beef is discouraged within the Sinhala Buddhist community for cultural reasons,”
Roel Raymond, Editor in Chief at Roar Media, told TRT World.

Rajapaksa’s ruling Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), which won a two-thirds majority in the parliamentary elections last month, largely draws its support from the country’s Sinhala Buddhist majority.



At the forefront is the 20th Constitutional Amendment bill, which would weaken curbs on presidential powers. The government has kickstarted the legislative process following the amendment draft’s publication last week.

Raymond highlighted that talk of a ban also coincided with the swearing-in of Premalal Jayasekara, an MP of the SLPP who was convicted in August of murdering an opposition activist at a 2015 election rally.
“The public outrage sparked by Jayasekara’s swearing-in was diffused to some degree by the proposal to ban cattle slaughter. So there’s a degree of political calculation evident here,”
she said.

Paikiasothy Saravanamuttu, Executive Director of the Colombo-based Centre for Policy Alternatives, considers the ban as “part of the appeasement of the Sinhala Buddhist majority” that will come “at the expense of the Muslim community.”
“It is another blow at the pluralism of the population,”
he told TRT World.

The impact of a ban might be felt disproportionately by marginalised sections of society.

Raymond noted that it would affect domestic milk farmers who often sell male animals for meat.
“However, rural Sri Lankans are moving away from domestic production of milk and it is mostly run by large farms owned by the government and the private sector.”
“But this will affect a section of the Muslim community who are dependent on the meat industry.”

There is also speculation that the importation of meat will result in a spike in beef prices at local markets, she added.



This is not the first attempt to have the practice of cattle slaughter banned.

Despite entertaining the idea over the years, no government has seen it fit to legislate on it – most likely due to it being bound up with socio-political and religious tensions.

Chief among them is Buddhist-Muslim relations, and the issue of cattle slaughter tends to surface during times when relations between the two communities are strained.


Buddhists make up 70 percent of Sri Lanka’s population and despite restrictions on the killing of animals, eating meat is common among a large portion. Beef on the other hand is considered off limits for Buddhists and Hindus.

But some believe that the subject of animal slaughter is less to do with Buddhism than with discrimination.

Cattle slaughter has frequently been raised by Sinhala nationalists and monks to alienate the Buddhist majority from and agitate against the Muslim minority.

Muslims, who constitute 9.7 percent of the population, have repeatedly endured harassment and attacks at the hands of hardline Buddhist groups such as the Bodu Bala Sena (BBS), a monk-led Sinhala nationalist organisation that campaigned against halal food.
In 2009, parliament considered a bill calling for a total ban on cattle slaughter presented by MP Wijedasa Rajapakshe, who said that while a ban would affect 300 to 400 people engaged in the meat business it would create thousands of new job opportunities in the dairy industry.

Rajapakshe claimed cattle slaughter in the country was a source of “bribery, corruption and counterfeit licences.”

In 2013, a campaign opposing halal certification was launched that forced stores to stop selling meat labelled with Islamic food guidelines. In the same year, a Buddhist monk self-immolated in protest over the killing of cattle by Muslims.

In 2018, the radical Hindu outfit Siva Senai staged a protest in the northern city of Jaffna calling for a beef ban, stating that Sri Lanka “is the land of Hindus and Buddhists.”

In a study that examined the impact of anti-halal and anti-slaughtering campaigns in the context of post-war Sri Lanka, authors Mohammad Yusoff and Athambawa Sarjoon concluded that Buddhist nationalist forces and their “intensified anti-minority hatred” have made it “challenging for ethno-religious minorities in Sri Lanka to engage in religious norms and duties.”

The Animal Act of Sri Lanka prohibits the slaughter of cows and calves below the age of 12, allowing local governments to regulate the slaughter under exceptional conditions. The law was originally passed in 1958 and amended in 1964.

Buddhism enjoys preeminence in Sri Lanka’s constitution, which states that “it shall be the duty of the State to protect and foster the Buddha Sasana” while ensuring freedom of religion as a fundamental right.

Comments

POPULAR NEWS FROM THIS SITE:

CUBA CLAIMS CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER IS FIDEL CASTRO'S SON.

The suicide note left by Fidel Castro’s eldest son has rocked the Cuban nation this week, with the most astonishing revelation being the claim that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was his half-brother and the son of the late Fidel Castro. The handwritten note left by Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart, 68, the eldest of Fidel Castro’s children, appears to confirm the longstanding rumor in Cuba that Fidel Castro fathered Justin Trudeau after a public tryst with Margaret Trudeau in 1970. “ Castro Diaz-Balart, who had been attended by a group of doctors for several months due to a state of profound depression, committed suicide this morning ,”  Cubadebate website reported. The death of the high-profile government nuclear scientist, also known as “Fidelito”, or Little Fidel, because of how much he looked like his father, stunned the nation, however it is his “ explosive ” suicide note that has set tongues wagging in Havana. Amid a wide-ranging barrage of compl...

MALARIA VACCINE PROVES HIGHLY EFFECTIVE IN BURKINA FASO.

A vaccine against malaria has been shown to be highly effective in trials in Africa, holding out the real possibility of slashing the death toll of a disease that kills 400,000 mostly small children every year. The vaccine, developed by scientists at the Jenner Institute of Oxford University, showed up to 77% efficacy in a trial of 450 children in Burkina Faso over 12 months. The hunt for a malaria vaccine has been going on the best part of a century. One, the Mosquirix vaccine developed by GlaxoSmithKline, has been through lengthy clinical trials but is only partially effective, preventing 39% of malaria cases and 29% of severe malaria cases among small children in Africa over four years. It is being piloted by the World  Health  Organization in parts of Kenya, Ghana and Malawi. The Oxford vaccine is the first to meet the WHO goal of 75% efficacy against the mosquito-borne parasite disease. Larger trials are now beginning, involving 4,800 children in four countries. Prof ...

MINERS IN NAMIBIA DISCOVER SHIPWRECK LOADED $13 MILLION WORTH OF GOLD.

Image: Dieter Noli. Diamond miners working off the coast of Africa were beyond surprised when they discovered a 500-year-old shipwreck teeming with gold worth $13 million and other treasures. The ship, aptly named ‘Bom Jesus’ or ‘Good Jesus,’ was like a miracle to the miners. Bom Jesus was first identified and discovered by geologists working for the mining company De Beers in 2008. It was found off the coast of Namibia near Oranjemund. Image: Dieter Noli. According to experts, Bom Jesus is from the Golden era of Portuguese explorers who set sail in all directions in search of new lands to colonize. The ship left Lisbon in 1533 under the supervision of Sir Francisco de Noronha. But on its way to India, it mysteriously vanished. Before the discovery, the miners were draining an artificial salt lake. As the lake dried out, many lost ships were found at the bottom of the lake. Bom Jesus was among them, and it is considered the oldest of all ...

BEES 'ARRESTS' SUSPECTED THIEVES IN UGANDA.

Bees 'handcuffed' one of the suspects around the wrist, while another had the TV set reportedly stuck on his hands.  Image: Daily Monitor. Kampala, UGANDA: Two burglars who are suspected to have stolen a television set in Sofiia village, Busia Town in eastern Uganda are in police custody after they were attacked by a swarm of bees. Like police would handcuff a suspect, a swarm of bees mobbed the hands of one of the suspects, while another reportedly had the TV set stuck on his hands as they returned the stolen items to where they had been picked from. Ms Rashida Jowelia, the owner of the property, said her TV set was stolen from her house last Friday, but she decided to seek the services of a medicine man in Sofia Village rather than report the matter to police. The suspects were identified as Wycliffe Kinara and Richard Duki, both Kenyan nationals from Nakuru. Bees 'handcuffed' one of them around the wrist, while another had the TV set reportedly stuck on his hands...

DEREK CHAUVIN TO BE CHARGED OVER ANOTHER 2017 INCIDENT.

New York, U.S: The Department of Justice is reportedly considering charging Derek Chauvin in a 2017 incident involving a Black teenager that came to light while prosecutors were preparing the George Floyd murder case against the former Minneapolis cop. The DOJ’s investigation focuses on footage of Chauvin striking a 14-year-old so hard that he needed stitches to close the wound, then kneeling on him for almost 17 minutes — mostly putting pressure on his upper back — as the youngster complained he couldn’t breathe, ABC News reported. Chauvin kept his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes before the 46-year-old Black man died May 25, 2020 after begging for air. Chauvin was convicted of his murder Tuesday.  Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder on Tuesday. (AP) A state prosecutor wrote of the 2017 incident that “videos show a far more violent and forceful treatment of this child than Chauvin describes in his report,” yet no action was taken against him. ABC News reported t...

MAN SAVED FROM POISONING BY DRINKING 15 CANS OF BEER.

Doctors in north-central Vietnam used 15 cans of beer to save the life of a man suffering from alcohol poisoning and yes, you read that correctly. Nguyen Van Nhat, 48, was taken to Quang Tri General Hospital on Christmas after allegedly consuming alcoholic drinks that contained methanol, a highly toxic form of alcohol. So doctors immediately gave him three cans of beer. Le Van Lam, head of the hospital’s intensive care unit, explained that the beer was administered in order to slow down the rate at which Nhat’s liver was processing the methanol, according to Vietnamese newspaper Tuổi Trẻ. Nguyen Van Nhat is treated for methanol poisoning at a hospital in Quang Tri Province in north-central Vietnam. Image: Tuoi Tre Essentially, there are two types of alcohol: ethanol and methanol. The former is a primary ingredient in both fermented and distilled alcoholic beverages—the stuff that makes you feel drunk in small doses and sick in large doses—although it doesn’t typi...

THOUSANDS OF FAKE COVID-19 VACCINES HAVE BEEN SEIZED IN SOUTH AFRICA & CHINA.

File photo - Interpol Secretary-General Jurgen Stock Image: africanews. Lyon, FRANCE: Police have seized thousands of counterfeit coronavirus vaccines in South Africa and China and have made more than 80 arrests after a criminal network selling fake jabs was uncovered, Interpol said on Wednesday. In South Africa, police officers found 400 ampoules of fake vaccines, equivalent to around 2,400 doses, at a warehouse just outside Johannesburg. A large quantity of fake 3M masks was also found and police arrested three Chinese nationals and a Zambian national. Police in South Africa seized hundreds of fake COVID-19 vaccines and made several arrests following a global alert issued by INTERPOL. In China, police successfully identified a network selling counterfeit COVID-19 vaccines, raided the manufacturing premises, resulting in the arrest of some 80 suspects, and seized more than 3,000 fake vaccines on the scene. The investigation was supported and coordinated by Interpol’s Illicit Goods ...

DELE ALLI BOOED BY NIGERIAN FANS AFTER CHOOSING TO PLAY FOR ENGLAND OVER NIGERIA.

London, ENGLAND: Nigeria fans booed Dele Alli at Wembley because he was playing for England and not them. The Tottenham star has a Nigerian father, but he was born in England and has lived in the country since birth. Bamidele Jermaine Alli (born 11 April 1996), better known as Dele Alli, is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for the Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the England national team. Image: NGN. Loud boos echoed around the stadium when Alli touched the ball during the World Cup warm-up match. Alli made it clear from the off that he would pursue his international career with the Three Lions. He progressed through the youth ranks and made several appearances at Under-17 and Under-18 level. England fans flocked to Twitter to defend the 22-year-old star, with one stating: "Dele Alli is getting booed for playing for England rather than Nigeria, guys he was born in Milton Keynes." Alli did not let th...

LECTURER ARRESTED FOR GIFTING BOMB TO NEWLY-WED COUPLE, KILLING THE GROOM.

The wedding of Soumya and Reema in the city of Bolangir in India’s eastern state of Odisha was solemnized in February this year like any other Indian wedding, except for a surprise gift they received five days after the wedding, which ended their short-lived marital bliss. New Delhi (Sputnik) — Police in India's eastern state of Odisha claim to have cracked the sensational parcel bomb wedding gift case after two months of investigation. The police said that after looking at the many aspects of the case, they zeroed in on Punjilal Meher, a colleague of the groom's mother who has reportedly confessed to have packed a bomb and sent to it the newly-wed couple wishing them a happy married life. The incident took place on February 23 this year, five days after Soumya and Reema tied the knot. They received a parcel from an unknown sender. When opened, the parcel exploded, killing Soumya on the spot, while Reema and another family member were severely burnt. The Odish...

MIKE TYSON IS STARTING A MARIJUANA EMPIRE IN CALIFORNIA.

Image: PA/Rex/Getty) Mike Tyson is starting the New Year with green on his mind, because he’s leading the charge on a cannabis resort that aims at not only producing high quality strains of THC and CBD, but also implementing cutting-edge technology to advance the research on the health benefits of marijuana. California has become the largest state in the US to legalise recreational cannabis use. As of 1 January 2018, adults aged over 21 can possess up to an ounce (28 grams) of the drug and can grow up to six marijuana plants at home. Opponents say the law will lead to more driving under the influence of the drug and introduce young people to drug use. But business is eyeing what could be an industry worth tens of billions of dollars in the next few years. On December 20, the former Heavyweight Champ broke ground on a 40-acre plot of land in California City, a remote desert about 60 miles southwest of Death Valley National Park.  He was joined ...